According to the research, a growing number of families are turning to discounters, penalized by steady income and rising cost of living. On the other hand, consumer goods players find themselves having to manage a scenario in profound transformation. These are some of the indications that emerge from the analysis of consumption in large-scale distribution carried out by NielsenIQ and presented on the occasion of “Linkontro”, an event of the consumer goods community which returns to meet this year in Sardinia – with the participation of about 600 managers in representation of over 200 companies – after a two-year hiatus imposed by the pandemic.
Theoretical and real inflation
– Theoretical inflation is on the rise but the trend that the real change in prices remains well below the theoretical one seems to be increasingly consolidated because, with the rise in the cost of living, the behavior of consumers changes profoundly. And, if in the first quarter of the year the packaged consumer goods show a marked decline, the Easter effect (+ 8% in April) contributes to the final positive balance of the quarter, with a + 1%.
Discount and large consumption
– On the other hand, according to the research signed by NielsenIQ, the strong inflation has determined the growth of discount stores, where the sector of super-discounted products earns one point compared to 2019, approaching 20% of the value, while the supermarket category, at 38.3%. The value of e-commerce is also growing, reaching a share of 2.6%. In this situation, the players in the sector and institutions must team up, adopt new strategies to face the current scenario and support the spending of Italian consumers. .
– If the theoretical inflation is today around 4.8% (but the forecasts speak of 6%), the real variations stop at 2.6%. The reason for this discrepancy is the strong change in consumer behavior, who have changed the products in the shopping cart by looking for the cheapest ones. NielsenIQ reiterates, in fact, that many families will be forced to adapt their consumption styles to a reduced purchasing capacity.
Player and institutions
– “In a scenario as complex as it is dramatic, the various realities operating in the consumer goods sector, such as retailers and manufacturers, must work together to outline guidelines and strategies to follow – explains the CEO of NielsenIQ Italia Luca De Nard -. Networking and directing the joint efforts of the market and the government is more than ever essential to support increasingly polarized consumption and less loyal consumers, in search of the most advantageous price to cushion the blow “.
Between inflation and the slowing economy
– In this scenario, with inflation becoming a structural element of the market, accompanied by the recession linked to the evolution of the pandemic and the war, the trends of the large-scale distribution market are difficult to identify, also because in such a complex framework the smallest variations can have a heavy impact. The purchase loss is the only certainty in a scenario that promises to be increasingly complex.
We wish to thank the writer of this short article for this awesome material
Between inflation and low wages, Italians are increasingly choosing discount stores to shop
Our social media profiles here , as well as additional related pages here.https://prress.com/related-pages/