A long wait, which according to various analysts ended with the penalize the already run-down automotive sector, rather than favor it. Whatever happened, after a wait of several weeks, the time has finally come for state incentives for cars and motorcycles.
With a concise statement published on the website, the Ministry of Economic Development announced that the first requests for the concessions of incentives on the purchase of new cars and new motorcycles that respect precise parameters of carbon dioxide emissions. The measure had already been announced last February and subsequently formalized in the Prime Ministerial Decree of 6 April. Since then, more than a month has passed before the Court of Auditors approved the provision, thus releasing the 650 million euros allocated for the three-year period 2022-2024.
Car incentives 2022: how they work and who can request them
As mentioned, the Government has renewed the incentives on the purchase of cars and motorcycles by allocating 650 million euros for 2022 (the figures for 2023 and 2024 have not yet been disclosed). Of these, 615 million are for the purchase of cars.
The figure is divided into three different bands depending on the amount of CO2 emitted by the vehicle you purchase: 220 million for cars with emissions up to 20 grams of CO2 per km traveled; 225 million for cars with emissions between 21 and 60 grams of CO2; 170 million for cars with emissions between 61 and 135 million. All vehicles must have engines approved according to the Euro 6 standard or higher.
Based on the vehicle purchasedyou will be able to get a maximum incentive of 3,000 euros, which rises to 5,000 if a car with a Euro 5 or lower engine is scrapped at the same time. Specifically, the 2022 car incentives will be:
- from 5,000 euros (3,000 euros if not scrapped) for the purchase of a car with emissions of less than 20 grams of CO2 and a list price of less than 35,000 euros;
- from 4,000 euros (2,000 euros if not scrapped) for the purchase of a car with emissions between 21 and 60 grams of CO2 and a list price of less than 45,000 euros;
- from 2,000 euros with scrapping for the purchase of a car with emissions between 61 and 135 grams of CO2 and a list price of less than 35 thousand euros.
All prices are exclusive of VAT.
2022 motorcycle incentives: how they work and who can request them
For motorcycles and mopeds (with 2, 3 or 4 wheels) the incentives reach up to 4,000 euros (or 40% of the purchase price) in the event that a motorcycle with a Euro 0, Euro 1, Euro 2 or Euro engine is scrapped 3. Specifically:
- eco-incentive of 40% of the purchase price (up to a maximum of 2,500 euros) for motorcycles in the categories L1e, L2e, L3e, L4e, L5e, L6e, L7e if the seller gives a discount of at least 5% and scrapping a vehicle of category 0, 1, 2 euro at the same time or 3. L1e, L2e, L3e, L4e, L5e, L6e, L7e;
- eco-incentive of 30% of the purchase price (up to a maximum of 4,000 euros) if the seller practices an account equal to at least 5% and if a vehicle of category 0, 1, 2 or 3 euros is scrapped at the same time.
How to apply for car and motorcycle incentives 2022
Anyone who wants to take advantage of state incentives and buy a new car or motorcycle won’t have to do anything. The bureaucratic practice, as in the past, it will be fully managed by the sellerwhich will have to upload various data on a web platform specially created by the technicians of the Ministry of Economic Development.
Before you go to the dealer it is good to point out that the incentives are not already available. The text of the provision in the Prime Ministerial Decree of 4 April 2022 must now be published in the Official Gazette while the web platform must be updated on the basis of the new technical and economic specifications. To date, the official date has not yet been disclosed, but according to some rumors leaked by the MISE, the May 16 it could be the “D-Day” of car and motorcycle incentives 2022.